Vital Records

The Department of Public Health maintains all of Georgia’s birth and death certificates. It also holds marriage records from 1952 to 1996.

What You Should Know:

  • Only the registrant, an immediate family member, or legal representative can request a birth certificate or death record.
  • If you need a marriage record from before 1952 or after 1996, contact the probate court in the county where the marriage was held.
  • The fee for birth and death certificates is $25 and includes one certified copy. The fee for a marriage record is $10. Each additional copy costs $5.
  • Although the department can confirm divorces, copies of the records are held by the Clerk of the Superior Court in the county where the divorce was granted.

You can request copies online, by mail or in person. For same-day service, visit the Stephens County Vital Records Office  in person. The office opens at 8 a.m. and closes at 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

70 North Alexander St. Ste. 108
Toccoa, GA 30577
Phone: 706-886-2828
Fax: 706-886-0335

You may order online with:

The third party vendors listed above are neither endorsed by nor affiliated with Stephens County Government and are only listed here as suggestions for your convenience.

Online response times are two to four weeks, or up to five business days on expedited orders. Surcharge and expedite fees apply for credit card payments. Only birth and death certificates are available through these online sources.

You can also mail a completed request form to:

State Office of Vital Records
1680 Phoenix Boulevard, Suite 100
Atlanta, GA 30349

Mail-in response time is eight to 10 weeks.

Marriage Licenses and Divorces

Marriage records from before June 1952 must be requested at the Probate Office in the county where the license was issued.

The State Office of Vital Records can search and confirm only divorces that have taken place in Georgia from June 1952 to August 1996. Verifications prior to 1952 and after 1996 are only available from the Clerk of Superior Court in the county where the divorce was granted.