The County Clerk, not to be confused with the Clerk of Superior Court, is the official custodian of records for all actions taken by the Board of Commissioners. Responsibilities include preparing and publishing agendas, preparing minutes and the informational notebooks for the board meetings, distributing the board actions to the constitutional officers and department heads, and maintenance of the records.
County Clerk Beth Rider provides administrative support to the Board of Commissioners and serves as part of the county’s administrative team. She works with the County Administrator/Finance Director to coordinate county administrative issues. She assists the Commissioners in administering day-to-day operations. The Board of Commissioners appointed Ms. Rider as the Open Records Officer and as Legislative Coordinator for Stephens County.
The County Clerk is also the official custodian of County contracts, leases, resolutions and ordinances and accepts all Open Records Requests dealing with the Board of Commissioners.
Major duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Prepare, then distribute the agendas and attend all Commission Board meetings.
- Prepare informational notebooks for the Commissioners, County Administrator, and County Attorney and media packets for the press. Also, make copies of the agendas to be distributed to the public at the meetings.
- Obtain signatures on all official documents and distribute to the appropriate personnel.
- Record minutes of the Board meetings, prepare minutes and distribute draft to the Commissioners, County Administrator and County Attorney.
- Provide the approved minutes to Department Heads, Constitutional Officers, and anyone else who requests them.
- Provide requested information regarding records of the Board of Commissioners as part of public records.
- Ensure that all County ordinances are codified in a timely manner as required by State law. Assure compliance with current Open Meetings/Open Records Act.
- Ascertain training schedules for County Commissioners, scheduling for same and maintain files to confirm that Commissioners have completed State required training courses/hours.
- Other duties as assigned
County Clerks must be designated as Certified County Clerks by the Association of County Commissioners of Georgia and the Carl Vinson Institute of Government.
Ms. Rider is a Certified as a County Clerk by the Association of County Commissioners of Georgia and the Carl Vinson Institute of Government. She is a member of the Georgia Clerk’s Association and the International Institute of Municipal Clerks, and has completed the ACCG County Commissioners Certification.
Mrs. Rider has completed the Georgia Academy Regional Economic and Leadership Development Program; serves as an Ambassador for the Toccoa-Stephens County Chamber of Commerce; and is a 2012 graduate of the Toccoa-Stephens County Leadership Class.
Mrs. Rider is a native of Stephens County and a graduate of Stephens County High School and North Georgia Technical College.
Click a document name below to open/save.
Please note that a copy of your driver’s license must be included when you submit the documents.